I’m a big fan of lists. There’s something about making a list and then crossing off each task once you finish that is so immensely satisfying to me. I tend to make lists for every occasion: shopping lists, to-do lists, wish lists, etc.
My parents recently visited and brought with them four huge containers of relics from my high school and college years. Among the embarrassing photos, graduation tassels, and hand written love letters, I came across an old journal. Thumbing through the pages of “I heart so-and-so” and high school drama, I stumbled upon a check list. Upon closer inspection, it was revealed to be a list of things I wanted to do before I turned 30.
I’ve always been a girl with goals but I was astounded at just how ambitious I was at that age. My list included adventurous feats like “go on an African safari” and “become fluent in another language” to the silly and arbitrary like “send a message in a bottle” or “get a bikini wax.” The last one made me laugh out loud. Oh, to be sixteen and excited at the prospect of an “adult wax.”
After scrolling through the list, I realized there were only a handful of items that I couldn’t check off at 30 and a half years old. It’s amazing to think that my sixteen year old self thought that so many of these goals were unattainable, only to be achieved in my wildest dreams. And yet, here we are.
Things to do before I’m 30:
- Travel to France [x]
- Go on an African safari [x]
- Go flyfishing [x]
- Visit an orphanage [x]
- Get married and have children [x] Well, the baby’s still cookin’...
- Send a message in a bottle [x]
- Get a bikini wax [x] This one still makes me giggle.
- Get a tattoo [x] Or five…
- Swim with dolphins [x]
- Learn to drive a stick shift [x]
- Vote [x]
- Learn to salsa [x]
- Go skydiving [x]
- Invent something [ ] This one is up for debate.
- Meet someone famous [x]
- Be on TV [x]
- Stay at a dude ranch [x]
- Ride horses on a beach [ ] I have rode many horses and been to many beaches, but never at the same time.
- Run through a field of wildflowers [x]
- Go white water rafting [x]
- Have a kiss in the pouring rain [x]
- Change someone’s life for the better [x] Chris says I can cross this one off for him.
- Visit the bayou in Louisiana [x]
- Become fluent in another language [x] Fluent-ish?
- Learn how to play the banjo [ ] Apparently I need to work on this one.
- Sing at a karaoke bar [x]
- Learn sign language [x]
- “Step” to the top of the Empire State Building [ ] I think I wanted to literally take the stairs to the top. Ambitious.
- Be interviewed by a reporter [x]
- Learn either Arabic or Italian [-] I mean, I know a little bit of both. Half a point.
- Learn how to ride a motorcycle [x]
- Go on a missions trip [x]
- Go skinny dipping in the ocean [x]
I’m pretty proud of all that I’ve been able to accomplish in my 30 years on earth. I think it’s time that I make a new list of goals for this next decade.